Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Alice in Wonderland Theme Dinner

Well it is that time of year again and that time where I start another post regarding one of my theme dinners.

Now this one was a big one... with my love for theme dinners, I find I can't do really over the top large ones every year, so other years I tend to do an easier story or movie.. such as "A Christmas Carol," and "Father of the Bride." It just makes things easier.


This year I did my favorite theme yet.... I have always loved the story of "Alice in Wonderland," and love the movies and the book.


So let me take you through my party... I love how it turned out.


I have made a separate post just on how I prepped for the Party...




The Invitation




Banners and Printables


Curiouser and Curiouser



Painting the Roses Red



Playing Card Banner



Playing Card Faces



Thanks for Coming Labels



Off With Their Heads Banner



Wonderland Banner



Welcome to Wonderland Sign



Why is a Raven like a Writing Desk





Labels


Drink Me Water Bottle Labels


Eat Me Labels - Drink Me Labels


Blank Food Labels



I also used some of the Printables I found on this blog: Teepee Girl, they looked great printed.






Menu from Party



Garlic Roasted MushroomsTea Sandwiches
Tomato Cucumber Salad
Watermelon tea cup full of fruit
Pasta “bow tie” salad
Vegetable Tray
Sweet Potato and Feta Tart
Grape Caterpillars
Donut holes - Down the Rabbit {donut} hole
Cat Tails
We’re Painting the Roses Red Cupcakes
Duchess Potatoes
Water






Recipes



Tomato Cucumber Salad

Ingredients

2  cups cherry tomatoes , halved
5 mini cucumbers , sliced into 1/4’’ coins
3  teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon  red wine vinegar
salt and pepper , to taste
2 tablespoons diced red onion
2  tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Instructions

Add cherry tomatoes and cucumbers to a bowl. Drizzle olive oil and vinegar on top. Season with salt and pepper. Toss everything to coat. Garnish with diced red onion and fresh basil.




Sweet Potato and Feta Tart

Ingredients
To roast the sweet potato
2 sweet potato peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 - 3 Tablespoon sprigs fresh rosemary to equal 1 finely chopped rosemary
Salt & Pepper


To assemble the tart
1 box Pastry dough
2 Tablespoons Caramelized Onions
500 g roasted sweet potato
125 g feta cheese crumbled
125 ml whipping cream 1/2 cup
125 ml full fat milk 1/2 cup
1 egg
1 egg yolk extra
Salt & pepper

Instructions
To roast the sweet potato
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Place the sweet potato in a large bowl and set aside.
Roughly chop the garlic and then the rosemary.
Mix the rosemary and garlic together on the chopping board, then continue mincing the herbs and garlic until they are both finely chopped.
Scatter the rosemary mixture over the sweet potato.
Drizzle over the olive oil, and season with salt & pepper.
Toss everything together until the sweet potato cubes are well covered with oil.
Spread evenly on a baking tray, and bake for 30 minutes or until the sweet potato is starting to brown and is just cooked.
Remove from the oven and set aside.

To make the tart shell
Preheat the oven to 375 F ( with fan on, some smoke from Beans may occur)
Roll out the pastry to fit your tart tin.
Gently line the tin with the pastry.
Place a piece of baking paper over the pastry and fill the tin with dried rice or beans, or pastry weights if you have them.*
Bake the tart for 10 - 15 minutes, or until the edges of the tart turn a light, golden color.
Remove the weights and the baking paper.
Reduce the oven to 350 F.
Continue to bake for a further 10 minutes, or until the base of the tart has set and lightly brown.
Remove the tart shell from the oven.

To make the custard
Whisk the cream, milk, egg, egg yolk, and salt & pepper together in a jug.
Set aside.
To assemble & bake the tart
Set the oven to 375 F.
Place the tart shell on a baking tray.
Spread the caramelized onions in a thin layer over the base of the tart shell.
Evenly distribute the sweet potato over the caramelized onions.
Scatter the feta cheese over the sweet potato, allowing it to fall into the gaps between the sweet potato.
Gently fill the tart shell 2/3 full of custard.
Place the tart in the oven (still on the baking tray) and fill the tart shell with the remaining custard#.
Bake the tart for 10 minutes.
Reduce the oven to 350 F.
Continue to bake for a further 10 minutes, or until the tart is golden and the middle is just set.
Remove the tart from the oven, and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve warm or at room temperature.


(Recipe from the Cooks Pajamas) (Things have been converted to Fahrenheit on this post)





The Decorations at the Party

































This was a very popular activity, it was decorate a teacup and teapot with marker...
it was fun to watch everyone get into it.













There were teapots lining the able... and teacups and saucers that were full of candy.






















Here is how the food turned out... it looked great, I was so happy for my sister Melissa's help, she helped me pull the menu together before-hand.






You can find instructions on this site for how to make this watermelon teapot.



We painted the roses red.









Instead of Tea Sandwiches... we did subs... it was more appealing to the masses.



Lots of water... it was 100 degrees, had to keep everyone hydrated.













There was something kind of magical to me... and fun, fun to see so many of my loved ones get into character.. and also to see the kids in wonder watch their aunt get into character... it was too fun.








The party was fun... we took lots of photos and ate lots of food.. it could not have gone better.. well maybe it could have been a littler cooler outside.



The kids enjoyed some of the props I had bought off amazon.




My sister did a fantastic job being the Queen of Hearts.




The Queen of Hearts and the White Queen.






Enjoying the Tea Party.












The kids loved decorating the tea cups.. they loved it.








The Caterpillar.



The Tweedles.









My sister-in-law Rebekah played Alice, and I had some of my nieces play "Little Alices," you can never have too many and this allowed them each to have some fun playing the part.









Rebekah honestly looked exactly like Alice to me... exactly.













My sister-in-law Michelle played the White Queen, a fun party to play.







I loved having my 1-year old niece Eleanor playing the White Rabbit... I think she actually had the most comfortable and breathable outfit... she looked to cute.






It was fun to see the Tweedles playing with the outdoor chess set.



Nothing like a family photo....



White Rabbit and Red Queen (Mother and Daughter)



I had fun playing the Mad Hatter... it was a costume I put together last minute... having found the hat a store 80% off the Halloween before, and I re-used the red wig I had bought for my Wizard of Oz Theme Dinner. It worked out and it made sense having me be the leader of the tea party.















I love Cast Photos.. they turned out so cute.







Some fun cast photos with some of the ladies in my family.





















I caught them decorating teacups through out the day... it was so fun.























Because it was so hot and bright outside.. instead of using my new projector, we watched the movie in the cool basement and ate lollipops, which they loved.






Two of my nieces had had birthdays the week before, so we had an "unbirthday," moment for them.. My niece Melanie has wanted to be a photographer like her Aunt Alisha, so I had to get her a pink princess camera... she loved it and we couldn't pry it out of her hands the rest of the weekend.







After the party was, games were still played, and other family activities were going on. I left some of the decor up and activities out so that people could enjoy them through out the day.










As the evening cooled down we sat outside, reminisced about the day and it's events and decorated more teacups... and blew bubbles... I just sat back and relaxed, I was happy and exhausted.




















In the words of Jacob Marley from "A Christmas Carol", I think I can say..
"A Triumph.. my dear.. another triumph."

No comments:

Post a Comment